Lemala Ndutu Tented Camp
Perched on the edge of a permanent marsh the Lemala Ndutu tented camp is the ultimate auditorium to view the wildebeest migration between the months of December and March.
Lemala Mara & Ndutu Tented Camp is a nomad camp which moves between two locations, with the seasons, ensuring that our guests have a front seat view of the Great Migration all year round. Approximately 260, 000 zebra, 1.7 million wildebeest and roughly 470, 000 gazelle cross the majestic river giving birth to over 500,000 calves within a 2 to 3 week period.
Fascinating facts about the migration:
- The migration may seem like a frenzy but research has shown, the wildebeest possess what is known as “swarm intelligence”. The Wildebeest systematically explore and overcome as one.
- Zebra and Wildebeest graze in harmony as they eat different parts of the same grass.
- Wildebeest have no natural leader resulting in the herd splitting up into smaller circles.
- There are more than 3,000 lions that follow the migration across the reserve.
The nine tented suites are spacious, luxurious and comfortable with an outside deck offering beautiful views. Each tent features:
- Two queen size beds
- Warm duvets
- Flush Toilet
- Safari Style shower
- Warm Running Water
- Solar Lighting
- Lounging chairs
Available Unit Types:
- 8 Twin bedded tents (as per specifications above)
- 2 en-suite King bed Tents as per the following facilities (and including the above mentioned specifications)
We recommend any of the eight twin bedded units for: Luxury family holidays and Groups of Friends. The Two king bed tents are perfect for a Honeymoon or just a romantic getaway.
- Bush Meals served under the star lit African sky. (Weather permitting)
- Dining Tent: Separate spacious dining tents allow guests to enjoy their meals surrounded by a beautiful view. Dietary requirements can be taken into account – please let us know in advance.
The Lemala Ndutu Camp has an amazing variety of wildlife present in its surrounding area. Recently seen wildlife includes Buffalo, Hyena, giraffe and elephant. An interesting fact about the African Elephant is that it is the world’s largest land animal. The biggest can be be up to 7.5 meters long and 3.3m high at the shoulder, weighing 6 Tonne. That is a jaw dropping 6000 kilograms. The Mara River is also home of the The Mara River crocodiles, the biggest crocodiles in Africa.
The bird life in the area is another beautiful sight to be seen, especially on the forest edge. Notable bird species include Woodpeckers, the African Kingfisher, Grey breasted spurfowl, Kori bustard, Rufous-tailed weaver, Secretary bird and Fischer’s lovebird. Kingfishers are one of the most brilliantly coloured birds, and may have loud voices and a dramatic wooing display whilst the Fischer’s lovebird best known for their beautiful colouring and energetic nature.
The Lemala Ndutu guides have exceptional knowledge of the camp and the wildlife within its surroundings. They will gladly assist with any questions guests may have.
Alongside the wildlife and beauty the Serengeti also offers a beautiful African night sky. Moon phases and weather conditions permitting, there are 42 animal constellations (amongst others) to view, and some fit right into our stunning wildlife – Leo, Scorpius and Columba to name but a few.
Activities and Services available
Travel across the famous Serengeti National Park in a hot air balloon. There are no power lines, fences and very few roads which make for some very magical scenery. Each and every balloon flight is different and exclusive.
Drinks, snacks, chairs and cushions await, with waiters on hand to serve guests their favourite drink.
Lemala Cubs Kids Activities:
A lot of kids see their very first lion, giraffe or elephant at the Lemala Ndutu Tented Camp. Lemala Cubs offers our young guests (under the age of 12) fun, educational and interesting activities. Some activities may include;
- Identifying animals and birds
- Learning how to throw blunt spears
- Using bows and arrows like the traditional Maasai
- Joining the chefs to help prepare the meals
- Roasting marshmallows over a camp fire.
Shared or exclusive game drives. Open sided vehicles, driven by excellent guides. Vehicles are equipped with charging facilities and a fridge with cold beverages.
Ndutu Marsh Walk:
Enjoy a leisurely walk in Ndutu accompanied by a Maasai guide and ranger for your safety.
Facilities – Overview
- 24/7 Security
- Complimentary Charging Facilities and Complimentary Internet Access
- Library, Fully stocked Bar, Communal Dining
- Children Activities
- Complimentary Mobile Connectivity
- Secure Parking
- Braai (BBQ) Facilities
- Eco Friendly
- Complimentary Laundry Services
- Tea/Coffee making facilities
- Complimentary Dressing Gowns
- Lounge Area/Veranda
- Hot safari style Shower
- Airport Shuttle
- Big Five
- Guided Game Viewing
- Bird Watching
- Guided Game Walks and Guided Game Drives
Lemala Ndutu Tented Camp is also an eco – friendly camp. The camp has a minimal environmental footprint and no plastic water bottles are used on site.
What to Pack
Items that you must bring:
- Valid Passport / Valid Visa & another picture ID.
- a Photocopy of your passport page to be carried in your wallet.
- Airline Tickets
- Recommended inoculations (vaccinations)
- Correct Currency
- Travel Insurance
Most African adventures include some time in the outdoors, and a basic personal medical aid kit is recommended. The following items should be included:
- Prescription Medications
- Malaria Medication
- Motion sickness tablets
- Allergy treatments
- Insect repellents
- Band aids
Casual and comfortable clothing is suitable throughout the year, but please note that the weather is unpredictable and the nights may become cold even in the hottest summer months. It is very important to pack warm clothing for chilly nights and sudden changes in climate.
The most practical items to pack:
- Colours: khaki, brown, white and beige.
- Light cotton tops, trouser and shorts.
- Long sleeved blouses/shirts for game drives, evenings and cooler days.
- Fleece sweater or a warm jacket.
- Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Good socks and comfortable walking boots.
- a Versatile scarf can be used as a shoulder wrap, shawl or head wrap and takes very little place in your baggage.
- Remember to pack all prescription medications.
We offer complimentary laundry services, so please feel free to just pack the essentials. We strongly advise that measures for malaria prevention are taken at least six weeks before travelling to the Lemala Mara Lodge.